Saturday, May 20, 2006

I Spy With My Little Eye

Now that I'm back from Scottsdale, the land of faux hair color, faux nails and faux boobs, I wanted to notify you of the trends I'm seeing around town. NYC stylie, yo~

Men:

Handle-bar moustaches
(Image courtesy of HatefulHelp.com)
Uh-huh, you read that correctly. I've seen 4 thus far - last night at Employees Only in the West Village (the bartender), today in Union Square area (random guy), 2 weeks ago at Beth's exhibit (hipster attending the opening), every day at Drop Off Laundry in the East Village (Pete was the first one to rock this look back when he was working at the Ciao). Keep your eyes peeled and post a comment if you see anymore around town!

Women:

Shagadelic hairstyle

(Image courtesy of BeautyRiot.com)
This is the best photo I can find online right now of the hairstyle I've been seeing around the East Village (yes, this is the lip-syncher Ashlee and I promised myself I would not include celeb photos on this blog but oh well, it's just so dang easy to find photos of these peeps online). I've only seen women with stick-straight hair rockin' this do. Each woman has had the longer hair in the back in two ponytails or two braids, fully accentuating the shaggedness.

Wedge sandals
I know what you're thinking - "Duh, we all know these are in fashion," but before you click through to another site, hear me out. I am not talking about the 4-inch Jessica Simpson brand sandals with towering cork wedge heels, I am talking about a late-70s/early-80s style wedge that is only about 1 inch high which starts of the width of the heel, but narrows out closer to the ground. Here's an example of what I'm referring to from Zappos.com (these are Marc Jacobs):


*****

On the shopping front, here's a tip: don't be afraid to shop in the shoe section of Strawberry's. Yes the clothes are bad quality, but the shoe section is not to be overlooked.


I bought these DaniBlack sandals, currently on sale on Zappos.com for $63- for $20- and I had two other pairs of Baci sandals in my hand, but I held out...until tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Franz, the keyboardist for The Hold Steady, has been sporting one of these for at least the last year. -smiles