Thursday, May 14, 2009

Not So Ga Ga for Gossip Girl

Ok, I have to admit - I don't get the Gossip Girl phenom? I finally sat down and watched an episode this week and it seemed like One Tree Hill/Dawson's Creek but at private school. Supposedly the school these girls go to is my alma mater or another similar school (and we've all got our knickers in a twist, pun intended, about the recent coverage from a fellow classmate and friend who now lives in the UK), but I think the show is as much a representation of the all-girls private school experience as Dawson's Creek was about a high school in the burbs (it was about a high school in the burbs, right?!).

Don't get me wrong, I think it's fun to see bitchy characters and fabulous clothing, but the one episode I watched did not hook me...and yes, I am hoping this will spark some lively commenting from all you GG fans.

2 comments:

Mochalips said...

Excuse me?! . . . First of all- I think that while the characters on GG may be extreme some of them are very accurate representations of private school students: the scholarship student, the socialite, the kids with a sense of entitlement because their parents own half the city.

Second of all- I don't think its supposed to be an exact depiction of private school life but rather another setting for a teen nighttime soap.

And finally- I'm sure GG is to actual NYC private school life as Beverly Hills 90210 (the original) was to actual CA high school life- which I happen to know was one of Caroline's fav shows back in the day ;)

Caroline said...

Argued like a true lawyer! Bev 9er - indeed I loved that show. She rests her case.