Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Boo!

Yesterday it was hard to tell who was wearing a costume and who just can't dress themselves. I found myself horrified at a side ponytail combined with a bra-strap headband being worn more like a sweatband. Then I realized - perhaps she was simply acting the part of tacky on All Hallows Eve?

On a similar topic, I am intrigued by the standard costume for young women on Halloween - sexy anything. How dare they choose to check their intellectualism at the door for a chance at shaking a tail feather? I must admit, I spent a lot of last night tsk-ing and shaking my head. At one point, I pulled up to a red light in my car and Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz teeterd across the street in one very short skirt and stilletto ruby slippers. Girls, what are you doing?!!

But for some reason today I had a change of heart. Wasn't I once a 20-something? Didn't I once wear 3 inch-long shorts as part of a "person from the 70s" costume in college? Does it matter that I was out in the sticks in Ohio and the NYU kids are all around me on the streets of New York?

My friends, it doesn't really matter. Kids will be kids; young people, young people. When it all comes down to it, who am I to judge? EK and I dressed up as Laverne and Shirley for Howleeween and just look at this shot. I don't think Laverne ever wore a belly shirt.

No comments: